Harghita

Bistrita-Nasaud

Eastern Transylvania


Western Transylvania

General Information

Transylvania Proximity

Location:



Cincsor

Fortified Churches:
Agnita | Biertan | Cincu | Cincsor | Dealu Frumos | Harman | Merghindeal | Prejmer | Richis | Valea Viilor
Viscri | Saschiz | Crit | Mosna | Cisnadie and Cisnadioara | Cristian Sibiu | Cistercian Monastery Carta
Slimnic Fortress | Câlnic | Agarbiciu | Axente Sever | Sura Mare | Barcut | Homorod | Miercurea Sibiului
Halchiu | Selistat | Soars

Cincsor When the Kleinschenk village community next to the Olt river, finished the church in 1421, date written on the western tower, it was not at all surrounded by massive walls. They only occured decades later. The place chosen for the erection of the building, that celebrates the Holy Apostles, was not chosen by chance, but it was near an old Roman camp, where the cohort II Flavia Bessorum was stationed. This neighborhood had as a consequence that many of the facilities and ojects used by the old garrison to be embedded in the walls, but not the female mask that was to be discovered centuries later.

The churches hall has a massive bell tower on the western front. The rectangular nave with gallery on the north side has a ceiling, but the choir instead, consisting of a closed bay rectangular polygonal apse is vaulted with warheads. Here is an altar painted in 1868. Like in the churches in Ighisul Nou, Cincu or Apold a Gothic tabernacle can be observed.

In the middle of the fifteenth century a polygonal area around the church was separated by high walls, so that sides of the south and southwest portion of the western side were separated by a wall to constitute a small separate area. The entrance was defended by a tower, and other three were built to strenghten the deffence.

Cincsor  Cincsor   Cincsor
Cincsor  Cincsor
Cincsor